Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

Expunge Your Record of Municipal and Petty Offense Convictions

Is your municipal or petty offense conviction preventing you from living your life as you want? It’s possible that these minor convictions on your record could be preventing you from achieving your dream job or renting the apartment you want. These convictions may also be an embarrassing memory of a poor decision and could even affect your personal life or relationships. Fortunately, you may qualify to have your municipal or petty offense convictions sealed or expunged in Colorado. This process will effectively remove these items from your criminal history. Michael T. Kossen P.C. is an experienced legal professional specializing in this area and can help you through the application of the sealing or expungement process. Contact his office today for a free case evaluation.

Municipal & Petty Offense Conviction Sealing in Denver

What Offenses are Eligible for Record Sealing?

Petty offenses, by definition, are less serious than a misdemeanor charge. A municipal conviction is one found against you in a municipal court, which is entirely separate from a county or district court. This would include a court system set up by a city rather than a county. Both petty offenses and municipal convictions are usually eligible for sealing or expungement of criminal records, helping you get these minor items off your record. This means the offenses cannot be found during a criminal background check. Petty offenses that are eligible for sealing include:

  • Disorderly conduct
  • Violations of many parks and recreation laws
  • Unlawful ownership of a dangerous dog
  • Certain skiing-related offenses
  • Minor in possession of alcohol

What Other Conditions Must I Meet to Seal My Record

There are some additional requirements to meet in order to be eligible to seal your record. Michael T. Kossen P.C. is here to walk you through the application process, ensuring you file the petition correctly and meet all of the necessary requirements. To submit a petition to expunge or seal your petty offenses or municipal convictions in Denver, CO, you must meet all of the following conditions:

  • You must not owe any money to the courts
  • Three years must have passed since the final disposition of all criminal proceedings against you
  • You must not have been charged with or convicted of a felony, misdemeanor, or misdemeanor traffic offense since your release from supervision or the completion of your sentence.

Why Do I Need a Lawyer for this Process?

It’s helpful to have a legal professional to guide you through any legal process. An experienced professional will know all the ins and outs of your state’s law and will be able to use this knowledge to get you a favorable outcome. Michael T. Kossen P.C. has many years of experience helping individuals with Denver and Colorado cases expunge or seal their records and move on with their lives. With his help, you can stop dwelling on past mistakes and begin focusing on the future. He will use his expertise to help guide you through the filing of a petition.

Limitations of Record Sealing or Expungement?

Sealing or expunging your record has many advantages, helping to remove prior offenses from your criminal record. However, it’s important to understand that even the sealing and expungement processes are not able to completely erase the event from the world. Though the offense will no longer be on the record, that doesn’t mean it will completely disappear. Unfortunately, there are limitations to the process, and we want you to know about them. Your previous conviction, even after sealing or your record, may come to light under any of the following circumstances:

  • Online information lives forever: The internet knows no limits when it comes to storing information. If either your arrest or conviction was part of local news coverage, there is most likely a record of it online. This cannot be changed by sealing your record.
  • Any subsequent criminal charges: Criminal offenses are often charged as more serious crimes if the defendant is a repeat offender. Should you find yourself in criminal court, your record may be unsealed, giving the prosecutor and judge access to information about your previous convictions.
  • Applying for sensitive jobs: Certain employers are often granted special access to your record, sealed or not. This means if you apply for a job with the government, specifically law enforcement positions, or jobs where you may be interacting with children, your potential employer may have access to your sealed record.

Request Your Free Case Assessment

Don’t wait to get on with your life. Let Michael T. Kossen P.C. and our staff help you with sealing your records so that you’re free to pursue your dreams. Please contact us by filling out our online form, and we’ll do a free case assessment to determine if you qualify for the sealing of your municipal or petty offense conviction records in Denver, CO. Our staff should be able to contact you within 24 hours of receiving your form.

Request Your Free Initial Case Assessment